The Design/Build Estimator is experienced with strategies to effectively execute a design/build cost estimate through best-in-class methods and procedures. The D/B Estimator positively affects both design and construction by accurately estimating cost and time needed to complete construction projects while adhering to Munger’s quality standards.
The D/B estimator is experienced in the design/build process that includes generating and enhancing project proposals through an iterative value engineering process that spans initial client interview through contract award for projects of all sizes, levels of complexity and construction methods. Budget trade-offs may be required in order to stay within bid price and schedule.
The D/B estimator works closely with designers, engineers and clients and influences design parameters based on a cost model. Conceptual estimating and an ability to manage large amounts of historic price data are significant. The D/B estimator has a thorough understanding of project scope concepts and contract requirements. The D/B estimator possesses excellent communication skills with the ability to build and maintain trust with clients and design partners while balancing needs and desires.
The D/B estimator is familiar with various construction methods and crew capabilities and is skilled at analyzing the functionality of systems, equipment, materials, facilities, services and supplies in order to achieve the optimal project lifecycle cost, performance, reliability, quality, and safety.
For candidates that meet the technical requirements for this position, finalists will have a strong business acumen along with excellent communications skills and personal presence necessary to move a prospect along their buying cycle toward closure. High emotional intelligence is a valuable trait with respect to assertiveness, problem solving, collaboration, and effectively dealing with customer emotions.
The right combination of education, skills and knowledge will be considered for candidates who can prove successful design/build experience with an emphasis in cost estimation. The candidate must demonstrate appropriate knowledge, skills and desire for continuous learning relative to technical knowledge, industry developments and best practices.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Analytical skills, creative thinking and able to manage detailed projects
- Proficiency in a technology-based work environment featuring computerized design tools and MS Office. Experience with Google Sketch-Up is a bonus.
- Competency to do online research on relevant topics
- Knowledge of construction concepts and terminology, structural and architectural design, diagrams, sketches, blueprints, etc. Metal building experience is a plus
- Thorough understanding of the scope for the specific trades assigned.
- Understand how to fit subs and create a Bidder’s List to the size and scope of the project.
- Effective organizational and time management skills, prioritizing and coordinating competing work demands while maintaining composure under pressure. Organize and prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Generate and assist in project proposals and estimates for Plan & Spec projects and Design/Build projects including drafting proposals with cost estimates.
- Obtain bids from vendors and subcontractors by specifying materials, identifying qualified subcontractors and negotiating price.
- Transmit addenda and other bid information to subcontractors and suppliers.
- Ensure proper project coverage from subcontractors and suppliers.
- Advise the architect and/or engineer in the preliminary structural designs, sketches and architectural drawings to meet the customer design and specifications.
- Conduct or attend Pre-Bid meetings with owners, architects, sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Submit 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline.
- Deliver bid documents to the Project Management team and execute/assist with subcontractor or supplier buy outs.
- Conduct project kick-off meeting with Project Management team to review drawings and specifications, and highlight areas of concern.
Pat Munger Construction is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time